University of Wisconsin-Superior
Swenson Hall 1061
Belknap and Catlin
P.O. Box 2000
Superior, WI 54880
News and Events Details
Some might think that the definition of Effective Dating is "one that ends in a long term relationship". While that may be true in life, PeopleSoft's effective-dating logic enables you to maintain an accurate history of information. Effective dating allows you to store historical data, see changes in your data over time, and enter future data. For example, you may want to track several events in the academic career of Tom Sawyer: what were his majors at different points UW-Superior career. By inserting rows of data based on his ID and significant dates, we can see a history of his academic goals at different points in time. We can then use that data for statistical and historic reporting.
When you enter new information related to existing data, such as a major changes, terms attended, student group status', you do not want to lose or overwrite the data already stored in the database. To retain history we add a data row identified by the date when the information goes into effect: that is the effective date. The PeopleSoft system categorizes effective-dated rows into the following basic types:
· Current- The data row with the date closest to-but not greater than-the system date. Only one row can be the current row,
· History - Data rows that have effective dates earlier than the current data row and
· Future - Data rows that have effective dates later than the system date.
The types of actions that you can perform on rows of data depend on the data row type. When you retrieve, modify, or insert rows in a table, the Update/Display, Include History, and Correct History actions apply specific rules based on the effective date:
· Update Display - Retrieves only current and future rows. You can change future rows but not current rows. You can also add a new current row.
· Include History - Retrieves all rows. However, you can modify future rows only. You can also add a new current row.
· Correct History - Retrieves all rows and allows you to change or correct any row and insert new rows regardless of the effective date or sequence number.
The improper use of the Correct History action provides the most negative impact on data integrity in PeopleSoft because it does exactly what its name implies… it allows you to change historic rows. The PeopleSoft Security team is currently implementing new security standards and will be applying those standards to all users in the coming months. One of the new standards is to carefully review access to the correct history action. Where this access is provided, users will need to ensure that sound audit practices (either programmatically or procedurally) are in place to track the use of that action.
If you want to learn more about effective dated rows in PeopleSoft, click the help button on any PeopleSoft page and search for "effective dates". If you want more information of effective dates in life you may want to check out E-HarmonyJ
For an archive of our tech tips, please see our website.
Copyright © The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System
University of Wisconsin-Superior is an equal opportunity educator and employer